Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ubuntu what?

I'll be the first to admit that I've always had a secret crush on linux.

After working on unix systems right out of high school, the idea that I could have something similar on my computer at home always thrilled me.

But then I actually tried playing with linux. Believe it was Corel Linux, which really didn't last that long. Then I tried one of the Red Hat distributions, don't recall what version. That didn't last long either. I kept going back to windows.

I needed access to all of my games.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago. I started noticing that my computer was behaving oddly. Random shut downs, that kind of thing. So I took it upon myself to back up all of my important data. (You always forget a file, don't you?)

I had made cds from various recent linux distributions, with the intention of slapping linux on a spare laptop to fiddle with. Was very glad that I had those cds when my system restore fragged my primary laptop.

IBM really should include windows cds with their laptops instead of making you have to create your own through built in recovery software.

So, once I had reduced my computer to smoldering slag, my only choices were to install linux or track down someone's windows xp professional cd and use my key. Opted to go with linux since I had the cds on hand and didn't want to lose my computer for a couple of days. (Only way I can talk to Tammy during the day. We aren't at liberty to talk on cell phones while she's at work.)

So after much debate and refomatting, installing, wiping etc. I'm now running Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop. And I like it.

Just getting it to play nice with an online game is frustrating. But I think I'm in the home stretch now. *crosses fingers*

2 comments:

tdleitch said...

*crosses fingers with you*

nozomiyume said...

Woo! I run Intrepid on all my home machines now :) There are a lot of good windows emultors for gaming (from what I understand), but since I don't PC game much anymore I don't have a lot of visibility on it.

Post a Comment